Student Research Program

Students analyzing blood sample

As a multi-faceted research program, we recognize the importance of research education and welcome opportunities to work with students. The following pages describe how students may become involved in various comprehensive educational experiences at Spectrum Health. 

The Student Research Program is available for actively enrolled undergraduate and graduate students in healthcare fields that are required to complete a component of research for their coursework. These mentored research projects typically last two to three months and focus on retrospective studies or quality improvement in clinical care.

To participate in the Student Research Program, students must complete the Spectrum Health Office of Research & Education (SHORE) Student Credentialing Registration Form (to be completed by the student, their mentor, and authorized representative from their school) as well as complete the Student Research Credentialing Training, that includes the following:

  • Spectrum Health Conflict of Interest Questionnaire and Quiz
  • Spectrum Health CITI Biomedical Research Basic Course
  • Spectrum Health Protecting Patient Privacy in Research 

To request the required forms, reach out to Inta Mednis. The credentialing process is done on a quarterly basis as follows:

February 1 - April 30 application submitted

Credentialing completed by May 15

May 1 - July 30 application submitted

Credentialing completed by August 15

August 1 - October 30 application submitted

Credentialing completed by November 15

November 1 - January 30 application submitted

Credentialing completed by February 15

Once the student is credentialed for research, a confirmation will be sent by email. The Spectrum Health Institutional Review Board (IRB) will be notified of completion status. Upon receiving IRB approval for the student to participate in work on the desired research study, computer log-in and access information will be provided. The student may begin work on their research project once access has been granted.

Eligibility Requirements

Students must be currently enrolled in full-time education at a college or university with which Spectrum Health has an affiliation agreement. Minors (< 18 years old) are currently not eligible to participate in research at Spectrum Health.

Spectrum Health currently works with students from the following institutions:

  • Calvin College
  • Central Michigan University / Central Michigan University College of Medicine
  • Cornerstone University
  • Ferris State University
  • Grand Valley State University
  • Hope College
  • Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Michigan State University
  • Saginaw Valley State University
  • Saint Mary's, Notre Dame, IN
  • University of Michigan - Flint (PT and Nursing only)
  • University of Michigan - Ann Arbor (Pharmacy only)
  • Wayne State University
  • West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Western Michigan University
  • Frequently Asked Questions

    If am not currently enrolled in an accredited school/university, can I still participate in the Student Research Program?

    No, students must be currently enrolled in full-time education at a college or university with which Spectrum Health has an affiliation agreement. We encourage you to review other career opportunities available at Spectrum Health.

    Why does there need to be an affiliation agreement between the school/university and Spectrum Health?

    The agreement outlines the expectations and commitments of both the school/university and Spectrum Health in creating a safe, enriching and rewarding student-research experience.

    As a student, who is my primary contact?

    Your primary contact throughout your student research experience is your school/university representative. This individual is sponsoring and/or approving your involvement in research at Spectrum Health.

    Is it possible to have remote access to research records or data?

    Spectrum Health must uphold the highest standards for data privacy and security. Remote access may be approved for those students that have successfully completed the Student Research Credentialing process on a case-by-case basis.

    My academic commitments are limiting my time available for dedication to my research activities. Who should I contact?

    First speak with your research mentor to see if it is possible to decrease your hours. You may also want to contact your school/university representative. If you need to end your research project commitment early, it is important to notify both your mentor and your school/university representative immediately followed by an email to

    Learn More

    Contact us for more information

    Scholarly Activity Support

    Helping resident and fellow physicians with clinical research.