Advanced Neurovascular Care
Spectrum Health has the most experienced and highly skilled neurovascular team in the region. Neurosurgeons and interventional neuroradiologists specialize in endovascular procedures, using the latest technology and advanced minimally invasive techniques, performed inside a blood vessel, to treat conditions affecting the blood vessels of the brain and spine including:
Highly Specialized Neurovascular Care
- First in West Michigan to perform non-surgical embolization, or coiling, in addition to surgical clipping, to repair brain aneurysms
- Fellowship-trained skull base neurosurgeon
- Area's largest team of highly experienced interventional neuroradiologists
- Two primary Stroke Centers which have held national certification longer than any other in West Michigan
- First in West Michigan to use state-of-the-art mechanical devices that break up and remove blood clots from the brain
- West Michigan's only Neuro Critical Care unit to provide specialized care and support for patients recovering from neurovascular surgery
Neurovascular Procedure Animations & Information
Cerebral Aneurysm Animation: A cerebral, or brain, aneurysm is a bulging, weakened area in the artery wall, disrupting blood flow.
Carotid Endarterectomy / Carotid Angioplasty with Stenting Podcast: These procedures treat carotid artery disease. One removes plaque that has built up in an artery. The other inflates a tiny balloon in an artery to compress the plaque.
Endovascular embolization, or coiling, podcast: A minimally invasive treatment that uses a small catheter to insert platinum coils into the blood vessel to block blood flow to the aneurysm.