The Spectrum Health Medical Group diabetes & endocrinology team focuses on helping patients and their families more effectively manage diabetes mellitus and other endocrine disorders.
We are changing the way diabetes is managed in the hospital environment by testing the blood glucose levels of everyone admitted to a Spectrum Health hospital. This allows us to determine if patients have diabetes mellitus or if they are at increased risk for developing diabetes (pre-diabetes). Well-controlled blood glucose levels have been shown to lead to fewer complications, improved healing and shorter hospital stays.
All patients have access to a clinic where diabetes treatment needs and questions can be addressed by an expert multidisciplinary team that includes specialists in eye care, foot and ankle medicine, heart care, neurology, nutrition, weight management and pain management.
Approach to Diabetes Care
Our approach emphasizes educating patients and their families. Education is essential for patient self-management of diabetes mellitus and for preventing its complications. Well-informed family members are better equipped to help patients achieve their goals. Along with treatment and medication management, the patient and family learn the importance of exercise, nutrition and blood sugar control. Our experts employ the latest technology and medications, and work with patients and their families to develop individualized care plans designed for improved quality of life.
Spectrum Health Butterworth and Blodgett hospitals are ranked 22nd in the U.S. for diabetes and endocrinology by U.S. News & World Report in its Best Hospitals 2014–15 rankings.
Spectrum Health is giving patients greater possibilities through expert diabetes education and treatment.
- Comprehensive evaluation and diagnosis
- Patient education
- Consultations for developing and implementing comprehensive, individualized care plans
- Management of complications associated with diabetes
- Management of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes mellitus during pregnancy
- Management of gestational diabetes mellitus in cooperation with Obstetrics/Gynecology
- Initiation of insulin therapy
- Management of "multi-dose" intensive insulin therapy
- Continuous glucose monitoring systems and insulin pumps
- Hyperlipidemia management
- Hypertension management
- Thyroid, adrenal, pituitary and hormone disorders management
- Metabolic syndrome management
- Thyroid biopsy
For more information or to make an appointment, visit our list of diabetes and endocrinology specialists. For driving directions, view our map of locations.